For years, I kept diaries and gave myself writing prompts. My favorites have been the questionnaires at the end of the year. How special that this particular year, 2019, is also the end of a decade. If most people are like me, there is this feeling that the days, weeks and months blend together into a cacophony of memories. Constantly caught up in whatever-it-is and whoever-they-are, the time and space for daily reflection gets lost in the chaos of living.
Granting ourselves the gift of reflection at the end of the year is a fun activity for New Year’s Eve – sitting in silence, mulling over all the memories we’ve collected. It gives us a chance to slow down and savor all the different facets of life. For me, it provides a chance to reflect on my character and growth. How have I changed? What are my thoughts now? Are my actions and goals aligned with the person that I want to continue to be?
We change moment to moment and day to day. At first thought, we may not expect much difference. (I still love reading and cartoon series – same hobbies as a little girl.) Only when we record and reflect will we see the nuances that teach us a little more about ourselves every day. This year has been eye-opening. I’ve made a lot of changes, internal and external, feeling as if I’m learning to settle my soul into this body and channel my energy in a mindful way.
I am learning to be comfortable with myself – the light and the dark, not shrinking myself out of fear or discomfort and making decisions to build a fabulous life worth living.
In my journal, I wrote the following prompts for 2019:
- Who were you 10 years ago, at the start of the decade? What about now? Who do you hope to be next?
- What is your favorite memory of 2019?
- If you had the chance to change something about this year, what would it be? Would you?
- What have you learned this year?
- What are you most proud of?
- Describe this year in 3 words and/or phrases.
- If you could be doing anything right now, what would it be? What makes you truly happy?
- What are you looking forward to in 2020?
- If you could have one wish granted at midnight, what would it be?
Made some fun templates to share and use on social media.
Leave a Reply